Saw this on reigh’s blog – great idea!
What did you do in 2012 that you have never done before?
- Travelled to the Middle East
- Finally got into the dietetic internship
- Finished my master’s degree
- Lost my fear of laying out (diving) for frisbees
- Puked from too much alcohol (pretty much a whole bottle of red wine in one night. Lesson learned. So glad I had cleaned my toilet earlier that day…)
- Successfully grew my own cherry tomatoes
- Attempted making macarons (with varying success)
- Started photoediting (despite previously being totally against it… I now see it as makeup, for photos)
- Started using a smartphone and never looked back
- Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions and will you make more next year?
I barely even remember them… I think one was to learn how to use a film camera properly, which I did, but then didn’t have time to really practice so I’m quite sure I’ve forgotten now. I’m going to try keeping track of one thing I’m thankful for each day on my Tumblr. That sounds easy and do-able enough!
- Did someone close to you give birth in 2012?
Yes! Yeegoh’s first son, who I am intent on spoiling rotten :)
- Did someone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
Egypt, Jordan, Israel.
- What did you lack in 2012 that you would like more of in 2013?
Time management/self control, cooking skills, memory.
- What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory?
June 14, 2012 – the day I got the internship offer call; 12/12/12 for obvious reasons
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I’d say that’s a toss-up between finishing my masters’ degree and improving my Ultimate skills significantly
- What was your biggest failure?
How about lots of small ones? Mostly to do with impatience with the people I love.
- Did you suffer injury or illness?
Nothing serious, just lots of jammed fingers, epic leg bruises (all related to sports), a massively swollen and painful ankle from a mutant mosquito (which made me miss the final game of my Ulti summer season, which my team won… still sad about that).
- What was the best purchase you made?
No one thing stands out, but I found lots of amazing deals from consignment stores and Black Friday.
- Whose behaviour merited the most celebration?
Yeegohs and his wife’s faith in the face of their apparent infertility, which God rewarded with a miracle birth.
- Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Those who went on random killing sprees.
- Where did most of your money go?
Moving expenses and setting up a new life in London.
- What did you get really really excited about?
Internship acceptance (cue dancing in the lab), Middle East trip, Sammy’s birth
- What song will always remind you of 2012?
Pop songs come and go, nothing ever sticks, although I do remember being completely bewildered upon my return from the Middle East as to what exactly “Gangnam Style” was (I thought it was “Gundam Style” for the longest time), and then refusing to watch the music video or listen to the song (until I was forced to on New Year’s Day…)
- Compared to this time last year, are you?
Happier or hardened? Happier
Thinner or fatter? Fluctuated, but thinner overall
Richer or poorer? Definitely poorer
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
More time invested in friends and classmates, more photography adventures.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Time on Facebook and other Internet time wasters.
- How did you spend Christmas?
A mini family reunion at home. See this post about it.
- Did you fall in love in 2012?
You could say so.
- Any one night stands?
Not my thing.
- What was your favourite program?
Smash. Sad they only got a half season, and delayed start for Season 2. Eagerly anticipating Feb. 5!
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate last year?
Nope. Hate is an aweful waste of energy and emotion. (copied from reigh because I totally agree)
- What was the best book you read?
I didn’t have much time for reading, but I sped through the Hunger Games trilogy when I should have been writing papers :P
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hillside Music Festival in Guelph – so many amazing indie artists! Most memorable band: The Jezebels
- What did you want, and get?
Dietetic internship. This seems to be the theme of my year.
- What did you want, and not get?
To go trekking in Nepal after the Middle East trip, but internship changed those plans.
- Favourite film of this year?
The Avengers. More recently, a toss up between the Hobbit Part 1 and Les Mis.
- What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Went for all you can eat sushi with a bunch of friends and played board games (7 Wonders!!) late into the night.
- What is one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More coffee dates, more chats into the night.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
No more student grunge. Constant look out for chic, timeless pieces that don’t age me too much. Bought more work-appropriate clothing, made a rule not to buy any more t-shirts.
- What kept you sane?
Prayer, good friends, music
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, née Middleton.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
I don’t follow politics. They induce immediate eye-glazing. My bff is well acquainted with this phenomenon.
- Who do you miss?
My family and my dog.
- Who was the best new person you met?
My new nephew Samuel!
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
God likes to answer long-sought after prayer in spectacular fashion.
- Quote a song lyrics that sums up your year:
I can never think of these things… I always have a song stuck in my head. Currently it’s “I Dreamed A Dream”, because I just watched Les Mis and have the original London cast’s soundtrack on repeat. It could be fitting I s’pose… I have dreamed of the day I got accepted to a dietetic internship… but the song is about broken dreams so maybe not.
Can’t wait for more new/improved/old-but-better things in 2013!