I started P90X this week, and today’s workout was to do yoga, which is the first time I’ve ever tried it. I’ve always been kinda leery and doubtful about it, thinking “How can that ever give you a solid workout? It doesn’t look like a whole lot of effort.” Boy was I ever wrong. Yoga is by far one of the most difficult workouts so far, in my opinion. I know I’m not flexible, by a long shot, but holy crap does it ever come out when I’m trying to hold all these poses. Paaaaiiiinnnnn. I’ve never had to stop so quickly in a P9o exercise so far.
A few things I’ve learned doing yoga for the first time:
- I’m REALLY inflexible, although by the end of the workout, I could easily touch my toes while sitting with my legs straight out, which I usually have to struggle for. Maybe by the end of this, I’ll be able to put my hands flat on the floor while standing!! (Which will be a miracle, as I normally can’t touch my toes…)
- My right quads are way stronger than my left, but I find it much easier to balance on my left leg than on my right. Strange.
- I balance better when I think of reaching my hands/head up into the sky rather than focusing on balancing on my feet (as soon as I thought about my feet, I’d tumble). Very zen…
- It felt so good after all that stretching, holding poses, and balancing. More than I could’ve thought possible. It’s like my body was saying “FINALLY you’ve given me a chance to stretch properly! What took you so long?!?!”
- Yoga makes you sweat like a pig while not physically moving very much.
Also the concentration on deep breathing was great, though many times it came in gasps as I tried to hold the pose for the full amount of time prescribed. It really does focus you and helped me feel the movement of my body as I went from pose to pose. I’m looking forward to doing yoga again in next week’s cycle =]